NEW South Wales Planning Minister Anthony Roberts has halted all residential planning proposals in Sydney’s booming north-western suburb of Ryde, as infrastructure fails to keep up with development.
The Minister has also suspended planning guidelines introduced only last month that shepherd the construction of terraces on properties in Ryde and Canterbury Bankstown through red tape, delaying their introduction until July 1, 2020.
The Urban Taskforce said the announcement flies in the face of the Greater Sydney Commission’s Districts Plans that were released just two months ago, which called for 7,600 new homes in Ryde over the next five years.
The District Plans provide a blueprint for the planning of the metropolitan area into the long-term, and split Sydney into three major regions, including Western Parkland City, with the Western Sydney Airport as its focal point; Central River City, centred around Parramatta; and Eastern Harbour City, running north and south from the Sydney CBD.
The Urban Taskforce CEO Chris Johnson said the NSW government has done a backflip on key policies, and suggested they were politically motivated.
“There have been significant political statements in Ryde from the mayor and the local member of parliament about overdevelopment and now all new planning proposals are on hold,” Johnson said.
“It is clear that we are in a pre-election environment with politicians encouraging communities to be wary of growth,” he added.
Johnson said the NSW government had also championed the “missing middle” approach to providing terrace houses and duplexes as a way to increase density that is compatible with detached houses.
“But now the NSW government has backed off the use of terrace houses in Canterbury Bankstown and Ryde. The District Plan identifies the Canterbury Bankstown corridor as an important growth area but apparently not for terrace houses,” he concluded.
Australian Property Journal