This latest episode of Australian Property Journal’s Talking Property is brought to you by Real Capital Analytics.
APJ’s Nelson Yap talks to Benjamin Martin Henry, Real Capital Analytics Head of Analytics – Pacific, about the Australian Capital Markets during these COVID times.
- For the first time in history, industrial demand has outstripped retail and offices combined. Representing 42% of deals, Industrial is the new Retail, will it become the new Office?
- Where are offshore investors buying and what are they buying?
- An interesting trend has emerged, retail transactions have bounced back. Particularly sub-regionals, the “middle child” of retail has seen a resurgence.
- Alternative investments are also on the rise, including build-to-rent, medical centres, healthcare, service stations and of course pubs.
- Pubs are far and away performing better than any other sector, including industrial. Volumes this year have already reached 90% of 2020 and 75% of 2019.
- The future of Build-To-Rent (multifamily) in Australia, there are supporters and detractors, will build-to-rent become the fourth core asset class alongside office, industrial and retail?
- What are developers up to and where we are seeing development activity.
- What’s in store for the capital markets in 2022 and next big asset class?
- And if Ben had $500 million, where would he invest?